Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pennsylvania

This post is LONG overdue. Back in May I went on a trip with my dad and grandma back east. First stop was Pennsylvania. No one really knows this about me but I am a lover of
history, especially the civil war. Back when I was a kid it was a way that my dad and I bonded. We have been planning this trip since I was a little girl and finally made it a reality this past May. Out first stop was Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Such a cute little town! Side note...had NO clue they had a college there. We spent a couple days there first. The night we got there we walked around downtown which is so quant and felt like a movie set. Buildings would have plaques stating it was historic and the history behind it. Some buildings still had bullet holes from the war in them. The 2nd day we went down to the history center they have, walked around the museum, watched a movie and then had the opportunity to get a guide to drive us around for a few hours to the sites around and give a history report on everything. That night we went on a "ghost" tour through the town...such a bust. Wouldn't ever waste my money ever again on something so lame. With out further adieu I have a major overload of pictures.

(these are in no particular order and after bout 10 pictures of trying to arrange them I stopped so theres less to look through now )
(this is the Pennsylvania monument that our tour guide wouldn't stop so I could get a decent picture. It is the largest monument on the grounds.)

(This is a statue/monument of Robert E. Lee who was the Confederate leader/general. He is my many greats grandpas cousin)

(Replica cannons of what the soldiers would of used)

(The union soldiers uniforms)

(in downtown Gettysburg, there were plaques everywhere)

(this is at top of one of the big battles. The north was sure they were going to loose with the low numbers they had but end up winning and had a prime spot)

(the houses were so amazing! I loved everything about them)



(One of the many statues we have pictures in front of...don't remember the significance of this one...oops)
(In the museum..the Confederate soldiers uniforms)



next stop Antietam....

2 comments:

W said...

fun! so cute you got to go on the trip with your dad!

Taylor Ann said...

Sounds like an awesome trip Steph!!!