Sunday, October 14, 2012

For my journal purposes

I am horrible at blogging cause honestly I don't care too much but I want to try and catch up from a year ago until now so if I ever decide to print out my blog posts then it will be an updated journal. This is a continuation from the Civil War trip I took. This stop was at the Battle of Antietam. My dad, Grandma Bertha and I first stopped at the visitors center to check out the plaques and information there. We also sat in a presentation with big open windows while one of the volunteers told us all about the battle. The big window allowed us to see each spot he was pointing to which was really cool. After that we got a cd for the car and took a car tour to all the spots that are of importance. I didn't load all the pictures so heres a few.
 The picture above was the first stop and is a picture of the inside of the Dunker church.
The picture below is in the door way of the church. (It was raining)
This is where a battle was fought.
 A house that is still standing from the war. It wasn't damaged from the war.

 Above and Below-
Pictures of us on the property of the house that was still standing from the war.


 Above and Below-
A tree in a cemetery where those who fought were buried. 
The pathway to the cemetery. I loved the greenery everywhere!
It was interesting to see so many from the same family buried together.

 Above and Below-
The bloodiest battle was fought across this river.
The Bridge over the river.

 This was my favorite part of this location.  I love history and the Civil War is my favorite war. Something about it is so intriguing to me. Especially the Battle of Antietam.
The Battle of Antietam was so important because it was the 1st battle fought on Union soil. It was the bloodiest battle and really no "win" but President Abraham Lincoln took it as a sign that since the South retreated it was enough of a victory to announce his Emancipation Proclamation. So cool to me that this battle in this small farm town was such a turn in History. The reason it was the bloodiest battle was because of (not pictured) the Sunken Road and this Bridge over Antietam Creek. The Sunken Road allowed those on top to look down and see their enemies coming up which in return left a lot of soldiers dead in the Sunken Road. The bridge was over taken by a Union general allowing his men to be on the hills behind while the others tried coming across the bridge and the river. Its been said the river was red from all the blood. Loved this trip and I wish I could remember more and not have waited a year to journal it.

No comments: